Environmental Tips for Parents to Improve Learning and Attention
It makes sense to eliminate known triggers that impact learning and attention. Awareness of these triggers can lead to reduced toxic exposures and thus, can help provide optimum environments for academic improvement as well as prevention of future health problems. Our children’s academic success and health is well worth it!
The following is based on recommendations of the American Academy of Environmental Medicine and founded upon extensive scientific findings from peer-reviewed research.
Make sure your home and school are healthful environments. Both mold and RF radiation are toxic exposures you can take steps to avoid.
No mold, leaks, or water damage
- Water damage produces mold and bacterial growth; both can produce strong neurotoxins that impact the brain (learning, memory, attention) ; Water Damaged Buildings; Molds, Mycotoxins, and More
- Many schools have water damage and mold due to leaky roofs and improper construction. Evidence is often found by viewing stained ceiling tiles or walls showing water damage, or musty air quality. Tips for Investigating Moisture and Mold Problems in Schools ; USEPA: Signs and photos of water-damaged building interiors
- Reference World Health Organization Report confirming the above: WHO Guidelines for Indoor Air Quality: Dampness and Mould [PDF - 2.5 MB]
- Resources on mold cleanup. Dr. Shoemaker/Aerobiological’s Condensed Remediation Plan For Small Microbial Particles; http://www.cdc.gov/mold/cleanup.htm
- Recommendation: when possible, try very hard to avoid schools and/or classrooms that are damp, leaky, or moldy ; look for stained walls, carpeting, or ceiling tiles. Clean up water damage immediately in your home, following guidelines above.
Reduce rf radiation exposures (electrosmog pollution from wireless – rf radiation is considered a toxin and does not occur in nature)
- Our schools increasingly have strong commercial wifi systems that can disrupt learning and attention. These may also produce physical symptoms that include headaches and dizziness.
- Avoid schools that have cellular antenna or towers nearby (Caution: these may be disguised as trees, etc. Disguises for “Stealth” Cell Towers); Los Angeles Unified School District Resolutions (Concerning Cell Towers)
- Outside of school there is often a pervasive use of cell phones and home wifi. Cell Phone Health Alerts
- Local libraries may provide high rf radiation exposures from commercial (very strong) wifi and RFID checkout systems that are wireless. WIFI and Libraries; Impacts of RF radiation on the human body in a passive RFID …
- Children are known to be more susceptible to the effects of rf radiation due to their immature immune systems. Pregnant women and parents should take care not to expose their unborn children – in addition to children of any age – to rf radiation sources, including cell phones, smart meters, and wifi. Cell Phone and Wireless Device Radiation Linked to Poor Fetal Brain Development; Kaiser Researcher Ties EMF Exposures in Womb to Obesity Risk ; Cell phone use in pregnancy may cause behavioral disorders in offspring ; Fetal Radiofrequency Radiation Exposure From Cell Phones Affects Neurodevelopment and Behavior ; ALERT: AAEM Releases Recommendations EMF and RF Exposures (7/12/12)
- Recommendation: Eliminate use of wireless devices, especially wifi, “smart” utility meters employing wireless to transmit (equivalent to 160 cell phones, according to one expert), wireless security systems, cordless phones, wireless tv or cable systems, baby monitors, and cell phones (cell phones should only be used for emergencies and never by or near children of any age). Cell phone shields (may be found on Ebay and other Internet sources, made of metallic cloth) may also reduce exposures, as will use of cell phones on speaker mode only. Use of wireless or wired headsets is not recommended. Do not use cell phones in cars, particularly around children, as the exposure is much higher therein. Do not charge cell phones or cordless phones near occupied areas of the home, especially where children or adults sleep. Locate wireless modems (if these must be used) in an unoccupied room. Wired modems are available online. Read How to identify and reduce electrosmog located at Center for Electrosmog Prevention, a 501c3 nonprofit. If you live in California, it is likely that you can “opt-out” of smart meters by calling your local utility and requesting this. SDG&E Smart Meter Opt-out Update 7/26/12 ; Where Smart Meters Are Optional / Free or Fee
- Read the BioInitiative Report 2012 for the latest science-based information concerning children and wireless exposures. http://www.bioinitiative.org/table-of-contents/. Note sections that pertain to neurology and the brain, development of autism and ADHD, as well as DNA, cancers, and reproductive damage.
- Read these position papers from the American Academy of Environmental Medicine (AAEM)
Susan Brinchman, M. Ed
Special Educator, 31 years
Owner, San Diego Tutors, La Mesa, CA
Founder and Director, Center for School Mold Help, formerly a 501c3 nonprofit (9 years)
Founder and Director, Center for Electrosmog Prevention, a 501c3 nonprofit (3 years)