Los Angeles Unified School District Resolutions
(from CLOUT website http://cloutnow.org/lausd/)
In 2000, the Los Angeles Unified School District (LAUSD) Board of Education adopted a resolution opposing the placement of cellular telecommunications towers on or immediately adjacent to school property until appropriate regulatory standards have been adopted.
On May 26, 2009, the LAUSD Board of Education unanimously passed a second resolution including a statement “in favor of revising Section 704 of the Federal Telecommunications Act of 1996′s preemption of consideration of the health and environmental effects of radio-frequency radiation at levels below current Federal Communication Commission standards in decisions involving the placement, construction and modification of wireless facilities.”
LAUSD’s action on this issue was prompted in part by a number of recent cellular antenna applications for locations near LAUSD schools.
The following organizations and individuals endorsed the 2009 LAUSD Resolution. Click the name of the organization or individual to read their letter of endorsement.
- California School Employees Association
- Associated Administrators of Los Angeles
- Los Angeles School Police Association
- Healthy School Food Coalition
- Teamsters Local Union No. 572
- Hancock Park Elementary School
- Central Group of the Sierra Club
- Hunger Action Los Angeles
- Urban and Environmental Policy Institute of Occidental College
- Dr. Martin Blank of Columbia University
- The EMR Policy Institute
- EMF consultant Libby Kelley